Fancy Dress Ideas
Original costume styles for a fancy dress party this season can be tricky to come up with, so here's a little help and some advice. Twist the classics, find a new idea and create something classy or funny for your themed event.
But for those that want to make your own, be brave and take some time over it - don't leave it until the last minute to pull something together from your wardrobe (unless you are particularly talented in that area, and have a bunch of interesting vintage pieces hanging around).
Accessorize well to make the fancy dress costume really come together - purchase a few items of jewellery or a hat, just to make your DIY look really stand out.
Here are some of the most used costume themes, with some fancy dress ideas:
- Disney - princess, Minnie or Mickey mouse, Jasmine and Aladdin, Woody and Buzz Lightyear, Peter Pan and Wendy
- Military and Uniformed - army, police, nurse, sailor, astronaut, ballerina
- Film and TV - the A-Team, Star Wars, Gossip Girl, the Addams family, Twilight, Willy Wonka, Smurfs,
- Superheroes - Wonderwoman, Superman, the X-Men, Spiderman, Poison Ivy, The Incredibles,
- Masquerade - find a simple mask and cover it with your own choice of glitter, sequins and ribbons to match your outfit. Go over the top and be a little eccentric in order to pull off the theme
- Fairytale - Little Red Riding Hood, Alice in Wonderland (inc. the Mad Hatter)
- Mythical and Horror - angel, vampire, zombie, witch, skeleton, fairy, werewolf, mermaid
- Historical - pick an era: From cavemen to the 80's, and even into the future!
- Animal or Vegetable- rabbit, zebra, lion, cat, swan, strawberry
- Celebrity - Lady Gaga, Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, (any old Hollywood celeb is sure to go down a treat)
- Random - clown, where's wally, cowboy/indian, pirate, Barbie and Ken, doll
There are a mix of costumes in the above list - some for men, some for women and some that would do for both! If you are going as a couple, be inventive and think of either a celebrity/TV couple or just something in life that goes together well, like the sun and the moon or gangsters and molls.
To stay looking fashion forward, pick a period of time, celebrity or movie that's currently really trendy and exaggerate it. For example, you could pick the ever popular Egyptian era and go as Cleopatra with a gorgeous eye liner, red lips, straight black hair and lots of gold accessories (always really trendy). The main thing that will make your homemade costume look incredible is how much time and effort you put into it - the more time you spend creating it, the more effortless and awesome it will look. After all, no-one likes a half-effort costume, do they?
Whether it's Halloween or a friends fancy dress birthday party, celebrate in style!